Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Making kimchi: Part One

February 14th - I love kimchi.  love, Love, LOVE!

I decided to celebrate the day by attempting to make kimchi, that irresistably spicy, tangy, fermented cabbage pickle from Korea.  A few months ago, I discovered a book, The Joy of Pickling by Linda Ziedrich, at the local library, and had to buy it so I could try the recipes.  Naturally, kimchi was the first thing I tried.  A few years ago, my friend Nayoon and her hubby came for a visit, and she brought me Korean red pepper and anchovy powder.  I finally used it.  Thanks, Nayoon!

Here's the Chinese cabbage being chopped.  Two heads, cored and chopped into 2" pieces.
Here's the cabbage packed into the churn Mom loaned me.  Thanks, Mom!

Here's the cabbage with brine, weighted by a plate and a heavy glass.  Now we wait 12 hours for the cabbage to brine and reduce in volume.
Oops!  Almost forgot the daikon radish.  Chopped that and added it to the brining cabbage.  Re-weighted it and covered it with a dishtowel.  Now...back to waiting.  Impatiently, I might add.

No comments: