Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Bathroom ceiling: check!

On February 7th, when most Americans were glued to their seats in front of the television, watching the Superbowl, I got busy.  My friend Amy came over to help and keep me motivated.  In exchange, I cooked chicken satay and sesame noodles with peanut sauce.  Mmmm.  But back to business...

The bathroom-in-progress hadn't progressed in a year.  To paraphrase splatgirl at  http://moderninmn.blogspot.com/ , usable is not done.  Once the bathroom was to a usable point, we learned to live with all the other undone stuff.  Like the ceiling, the trim, the stripped down closet and the walls.

The breaking point came when I was scrubbing mildew off the ceiling (flat white paint - WTF?!?) for the THIRD time.  I told CC he might actually have to commit me if the ceiling mildewed one more time before we took care of priming and painting it.  At the very least, I would have to take to the bed.  Mildew is depressing.

So Amy came over.  First we primed.  Fun, thick stuff.  Then we took a break to check on the marinating status of the chicken and have a beverage.  The primer dried.  We didn't watch it.

I decided to custom-mix the final color from leftovers and oops paint.  Amy and I thought the first attempt was beautiful in the can, but WAY too dark on the ceiling.  CC concurred.  No way the tiny window and lights could have compensated.  So, we added some white trim paint to lighten the color, and voila!  What you see is what we got!  It turned out to be this beautiful silvery sage that looks great with the shower tile and is neutral enough to complement the blue beadboard wainscoting.  Can I get a WOO-HOO?

No comments: