Tuesday, March 30, 2010

I love budgeting.

Most people who know me are wondering who I am and what I did with Lisa.  I know it sounds weird.  And you can bet I wouldn't have said, "I love budgeting" 3 months ago when I likened it to having my hair pulled out while living like an ascetic.  But I've come around to the idea.  Guess it's because I'm just anal and controlling enough that seeing where every penny goes give me a giddy sense of empowerment.

In the past three months, I've paid more on my one remaining credit card than I would have thought possible, and have gone no further into debt.  CC is paying off his last card as well, and when we finish, we'll only owe on the mortgage.

My biggest weakness is dining out (because I LOVE food), but having a set budget for that means we get to eat out once a week, and the anticipation makes it even more special.  And CC has been great about talking me down when I'm weak.  I've also discovered I can make many things I love at home.  I mean, I've always enjoyed cooking, but I just never thought about making my own satay or kimchi or yogurt.  Did I mention empowerment?  It's so cool to realize I can easily make food that would cost $3.69+ a pint at the grocery store for only about $1.50 and a little time.

I was under the mistaken impression I was in control of my money without a budget. I was of the "Budget?  We don't need no stinkin' budget!" school.  Now I've seen the light.  And, while I don't expect this post to convert everyone to budgeting (I'm not a missionary on any level), I just wanted you to know it's working for me.

1 comment:

Nayoon said...

Budgeting can also be forced on you when your growing 2 year old has decided that she has a palate! God help me she has discovered chocolate.